Total Pageviews

Saturday 26 July 2014

Introduction

I have chosen to do this blog, not only because I enjoy doing holiday blogs as I've done a few over the past few years, but because I could find virtually nothing about the Viking Gullveig before I travelled on her, so I hope this can be found out there in the wide blue yonder, and I hope it is of use to my fellow travellers.

Away back in the dim and distant past sometime in 2013, we took the bull by the horns and booked a Viking river cruise on the Rhine, travelling from Basel to Amsterdam through Germany.  This trip can also be done in the reverse and you also get the option to extend your seven day cruise at either end if you wish.  You can organise this either through Viking or do it yourself.  If you let Viking do it, then your transfers etc. are all included, but if you do it yourself although your flights will all be organised by Viking, you need to take care of your transfers yourself.  We chose the DIY version as it was really vastly cheaper to do it that way.  Viking cruises are not the cheapest on this earth, but now that we have experienced the service etc. for ourselves, you can see why!

This is the document wallet you get - very posh indeed!!
Despite the costs involved, these cruises get booked up very quickly, so if you do want to try one out, get in there quick while there are cabins available!  Also, don't be worried about seasickness or anything like it!  These are river boats and there is virtually no movement, so you won't feel any waves and you won't feel the slightest bit sick at all.  The boat we were due to sail on was the Viking Gullveig, and she wasn't even built when we booked to sail on her!!  She only started sailing around April 2014 and we were booked for July 2014, so that was enough time for everything to still be new, but hopefully any minor problems would also be ironed out by then!

You also don't need to get all glammed up like you maybe would on an ocean liner, not unless you want to of course, but you would kind of be the odd one out if you did!  It's not formal at all and smart casual is the order of the day.  I never even took a pair of high heels with me!!

This is probably enough of an introduction - I expect you'll be wanting me to start on the actual cruise!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment